Chapter 11: Intercultural and International Conflicts
1. Which of the following statements best characterizes an international conflict?
- It refers to disputes and hostilities between nations, even leading to wars fought between nations over political governance or territorial disputes.
- It refers to disputes between two or more organizations.
- It refers to disputes between women and men.
- It refers to disputes between economic elites and working classes.
2. Blake and Mouton identified five conflict styles based on the degree of self-concern and other-concern. Which of the following statements best describes a competing style?
- It minimizes self-concern is minimized and maximizes other-concern.
- It uses power to gain one’s objectives, even though it means ignoring the needs of the opponent.
- It requires cooperation of both parties.
- It is commonly used in collectivistic cultures.
3. What of the following statements is true of Ting-Toomey’s strategies for dealing with intercultural conflict in an individualistic culture?
- Conflict strategies tend to be goal-oriented.
- Conflict strategies tend to focus on maintaining relationships.
- Conflicts are often viewed negatively.
- Conflicts are avoided at all cost.
4. Conflicts can be categorized as low or high in intensity. Which of the following statements best describes a high intensity conflict?
- It involves a series of intense battles between military forces adopted by at least one party.
- It does not involve the use of nuclear weapons.
- It involves a mediator between the conflict parties.
- It involves intervention of the conflict agencies.
5. Louis Pondy (1967) suggests that people move through stages as conflict develops and subsides. Which of the following statementts best describes the latent conflict?
- In this phase, the strategies and goals start to be enacted in communication.
- In this phase, the emphasis is on the conflict’s short-term and long-term consequences.
- In this phase, different parties begin to formulate strategies about how to deal with the conflict.
- In this phase, conditions are ripe for conflict, because incompatibilities and interdependence exist between the two parties.
6. Which of the following statement is true of a positive communication climate?
- Both parties should avoid emotional presentations such as angry or insulting remarks.
- Both parties eat well and see many movies to relax.
- Both parties focus on self-interest and self-needs.
- Both parties stand firmly on their own ground.
7. Which of the following cases is an example of anti-racist movement in the USA, that calls for racial justice?
- Proud Girls
- Black Lives Matter
- Blue Panthers
8. What kind of dispute does the Zionist dream of building a Jewish state in Palestine represent?
- dispute over territorial issues, since Zionists thought of Palestine as desolate and empty
- dispute over economic issues, since Zionists considered only all factories as theirs
- dispute over language, since only Welsh was allowed to be spoken in Palestine
- dispute over equality between men and women
9. What does a Chinese saying ‘Everything prospers in a harmonious family’ reflect?
- the belief that conflicts allow us to grow and change
- the belief that conflict should be reduced, if not avoided, as it disturbs harmony
- the belief that any kind of conflict should be resolved only by international parties
- the belief that direct communication style should be used in resolving conflict
10. Which of the following is considered as an effective conflict management strategy?
- focus on one’ own ground
- practise assertiveness
- encourage people to communicate in their own culturally appropriate way
- develop a positive communication climate