Chapter 13: Effective Intercultural Communication in a Global Society
1. Which of the following statements best describes cultural hybridization?
- A culture learns or adopts a new idea or practice from another culture or cultures.
- A culture keeps its own cultural ideas from other cultures.
- A culture overcomes a threat to its own by strengthening its own cultural image.
- A new cultural form that combines elements of other cultures.
2. Which of the following statements best describes ‘laggards’, according to the diffusion of innovations theory?
- those who are eager to try new ideas
- those who adopt new ideas just before the average member of a social system
- those who are reluctant to adopt until most others do so
- those who are the last to adopt an innovation
3. Which of the following is NOT considered a good strategy for developing intercultural communication?
- seeking commonalities
- overcoming stereotypes and prejudice
- insisting on using one’s own cultural rules
- developing flexibility and openness
4. Which of the following statements best describes the dialectics of globalization?
- Globalization has led to both a growing interconnectedness and a rise in xenophobia.
- Globalization has lead to greater homogenization and reduced fragmentation.
- Globalization offers greater equality for developing countries but has also diminished cultural diversity.
- Globalization has led to a decrease in xenophobia and a decrease in face-to-face interaction.
5. Which of the following concepts is part of the mindfulness dimension of intercultural communication competence?
- closeness to novelty
- assertiveness of one’s own position
- perceived effectiveness
6. Which of the following concepts best describes particular forms of cultural domination, including media, educational, academic, intellectual, scientific, and linguistic, with ‘othering’ as its core concept?
- cultural convergence
- cultural diffusion
- cultural colonization
- Cultural hegemony
7. Which of the following concepts best describes a product which carry cultural values, and many products that are seen to represent a culture?
- an artifact
- a logo
- an icon
- a brand
8. Concerns were show over the perceived impact of beliefs, values, and social practices coming from ‘foreign’ cultural products. Which of the following contexts best describes such concerns?
9. Which of the following concept best illustrates the degree to which pairs of individuals who interact are similar in certain attributes, such as beliefs, education, and social status?
10. The concept of ‘empathy’ is associated with many important aspects of in intercultural communication behabiour. Which of the following aspects is associated with empathy?
- devising communication strategies to accomplish communicative goals
- constructing messages consistent with communicative strategies
- formulating communicative intentions
- all of these