Case study 17.3
Now Mr Williams has been diagnosed as frail, what interventions might a nurse offer as part of an integrated approach to care?
You might consider the following:
- Explore Mr William’s perspective on his current health and wellbeing, as well as his understanding of what being frail might mean to him.
- After gaining his consent, you could develop a personal plan to improve his wellbeing and prevent further falls. This should include a thorough history and assessment of Mr William’s previous lifestyle, health beliefs and support systems.
- You might explain the principles that underpin health improvements in diet, activity, lifestyle and connecting with other people and groups.
- You would collaborate with him to form a plan that will gradually increase his activity levels and increase strength, endurance and flexibility.
- You might discuss his diet and fluid intake and explore adjustments he may consider.
- You could help him explore options in her local community, with family and friends and others to maintain connections and build interests that engage and increase his involvement.