Chapter 15: Care of the Childbearing Woman
1. Childbearing is the term used to describe ______.
- the birth of a baby
- the continuum of pregnancy through to the postnatal period
- the pre-conception period
2. When does the fetus gain legal recognition?
- after 16 weeks gestation
- after 24 weeks gestation
- after 28 weeks gestation
- the fetus does not gain legal recognition
3. The length of a human pregnancy is usually ______.
- 40 weeks
- 36 weeks
- 42 weeks
- 38 weeks
4. The expected date of delivery (EDD) is calculated from ______.
- the last day of the last menstrual period
- the first day of the last menstrual period
- the day of last ovulation
- 14 days after ovulation
6. Pregnancy tests are based on the presence of which hormone in the blood or urine?
- human chorionic gonadotropin
7. The maternal blood volume increases during pregnancy by approximately ______.
8. The hormone excreted by the posterior pituitary during labour and breastfeeding that causes muscle contraction is ______.
9. The third stage of labour is when ______.
- the baby is born
- the contractions are lasting for 30 seconds
- the placenta and membranes are delivered
- the mother and baby are resting after birth
10. Vaginal bleeding in the first trimester may be due to ______.
- an ectopic pregnancy
- molar pregnancy
- all of these