Chapter 31: Care of the Adult with a Musculoskeletal Condition
1. Which of the following are bone-building cells?
2. What is the outer layer of strong bone called?
3. By the age of 80, what is the percentage of bone mass compared to its peak?
4. Which of the following is the initial stage of fracture healing?
- bone remodelling
- fibrocartilaginous callus formation
- bony callus formation
- haematoma formation
5. Which of the following is the main reason traction is used in fracture treatment today?
- pain relief
- preventing deformity
- securing immobilization
- preventing pressure sores
6. Which of the following is the most important early indicator of compartment syndrome?
7. What is the difference between a ‘break’ and a ‘fracture’?
- a break is worse than a fracture
- a fracture is worse than a break
- a break can also be a fracture, but a fracture isn’t always a break
- they are the same
8. Which type of joint is commonly affected by osteoarthritis?
- fibrous joints
- cartilaginous joints
- synovial joints
- all of these
9. Which of the following is NOT a common characteristic of osteoarthritis?
- breathing difficulties
- joint pain
- joint stiffness
- functional impairment
10. What is a hemiarthroplasty?
- total joint replacement
- half a joint replacement
- ligament repair
- open reduction and internal fixation