Chapter 6: Research and Evidence-based Practice in Nursing
1. The key components of EBP are ______.
- best external evidence and professional expertise
- best external evidence and patient values and expectations
- professional expertise and patient values and expectations
- best external evidence; professional expertise, and patient values and expectations
2. Which of the following are types of evidence available to nurses?
- research studies
- a professional’s experience
- anecdotal evidence
- all of these
3. Secondary research ______.
- uses data that was originally collected for another purpose
- is the next stage in a research project
- is research undertaken in secondary schools
- is stronger than primary research
4. A randomized control trial is an example of ______.
- grounded theory research
- quantitative research
- ethnographic research
- phenomenological research
5. The aim of EBP is to ensure ______.
- care is patient-focused
- cost effective
- patient-focused and clinically and cost effective
6. To develop a good question you can use PICOT, which stands for ______.
- problem, intervention, comparison, outcome, task
- problem, intervention, comparison, organization, time
- population, intervention, comparison, outcome, time
- population, interview, currency, outcome, time
7. The best places to search for evidence is ______.
- Google Scholar
- a healthcare database, e.g. CINAHL
- the library bookshelf
8. Critical appraisal requires you to consider the ______.
- strength of the evidence
- the weakness of the evidence
- the relevance of the evidence
- all of these