Prisons & Punishment
Welcome to the companion website for Prisons & Punishment: The Essentials by David Scott & Nick Flynn.
This website contains resources for both lecturers and students, intends to complement and build on the material presented in the textbook, and includes the following material:
- Links to government reports
- Links to related websites and blogs
- Links to free journal articles
- Glossary flashcards
'The new edition of this popular undergraduate text will be widely welcomed. Clearly written and challenging, it addresses issues from the justifications for punishment to the ownership and operation of penal systems, especially prisons. It is an ideal introduction for those coming into the relatively new and contested discipline of criminology.'
Professor Mick Ryan, University of Greenwich, London
'Contrary to the humble subtitle chosen by David Scott and Nick Flynn, their extremely useful book offers far more than the "essentials" on prisons and punishment.'
Professor Vincenzo Ruggiero, Middlesex University, London
'With all chapters fully revised and updated, and the addition of extensive recommended readings, this book provides an informative, accessible and stimulating introduction for students on prisons and punishment courses.'
Alana Barton, Edge Hill University, Lancashire
About the Book
Covering all the key topics across the subject of Penology, this book gives you the tools you need to delve deeper and critically examine issues relating to prisons and punishment.
The second edition:
- explores prisons and punishment within national, international and comparative contexts, and draws upon contemporary case studies throughout to illustrate key themes and issues
- includes new sections on actuarial justice, proportionality, sentencing principles, persistent offending, rehabilitation, and abolitionist approaches to punishment
- features a companion website directing you towards relevant journal articles and web links.
The book also includes a useful study skills section which guides you through essay writing and offers hints and tips on how you can get the most out of your lectures and seminars.
This is the perfect primer for all undergraduate students of Criminology taking modules on Prisons and Punishment or Penology.
David Scott Senior Lecturer in Criminology, Liverpool John Moores University.
Nick Flynn Senior Lecturer in Criminology and Criminal Justice, De Montfort University.