Test you understanding of key chapter concepts by working through the quiz below. To check your answer click on the orange arrow to the right.
1. A concept is defined as a:
- Descriptive or explanatory idea
- Property of a category
- Typology of a code
The correct answer is: Descriptive or explanatory idea
2. The process of coding is:
- Delayed until adequate data is gathered
- An active process
- A passive process
The correct answer is: An active process
3. Which of the following is essential in the coding process?
- Application of extant theory
- Constant comparative analysis
- Translation of the participant’s words into abstract concepts
The correct answer is: Constant comparative analysis
4. Axial coding occurs during which phase of coding?
The correct answer is: Intermediate
5. Computer software is:
- Useful for conduct initial analyses
- Not beneficial in grounded theory research
- Valuable for managing large quantities of data
The correct answer is: Valuable for managing large quantities of data