Chapter 5: Crafting a Research Proposal
A. Checklist for Elements of a Research Proposal
Have you included:
- A clear, concise and unambiguous title?
- A clear, yet brief, summary/abstract?
- A well-articulated research question/hypothesis?
- Contextual introduction/background/rationale?
- A scientific and academic literature review?
- Theoretical perspectives as required?
- Logical and practical research methods, including methodology, respondents, data collection, analysis?
- Disclosure of limitations/delimitations?
- Articulation of ethical considerations?
- A well-considered timeline?
- Budgeting/funding as required?
B. Checklist for Writing a Research Proposal
- Access and refer to successful proposals
- Find a clear voice for your writing
- Write tight and concisely
- Yet, write sufficiently
- Write for the non-expert
- Keep quotes to a minimum
- Meet all deadlines
- Be prepared to draft and redraft