SAGE Journal Articles
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
St. Pierre, E.A. & Jackson, A.Y. (2014). Qualitative data analysis after coding. Qualitative Inquiry, 20(6), 715–719.
- What is “the ‘black hole’ of qualitative research” and why is it labeled that way?
- What kind of analysis is being criticized?
- What kind of analysis is being advocated?
- What does “after coding” refer to?
Hinthorne, L.L. (August 2012). A picture is worth a thousand words: Using the visual interpretation narrative exercise to elicit non-elite perceptions of democracy Field Methods, 24(3), 348-364.
- What is the value of using visual stimuli in collecting and presenting data?
- What special qualitative analysis issues, if any, arise with data collected through visualization techniques?
- What was the context within which this study occurred and what is meant by s “indigenous codes” within that context?
- What were the “challenging research conditions” in this study and how were they addressed in both data collection and analysis?
Bate, S.L., Melissa H. Stigler, M.H., Thompson, M.S., MacKinnon, D.P., Arora, M., Perry, C.L., &Reddy, K.S. (May 2012 ).A qualitative mediation study to evaluate a school-based tobacco prevention program in India (project mytri). Field Methods, 24(2), 194-215.
- Why was causality an important issue in this study?
- How was causality analyzed?
- What made qualitative data especially appropriate for this evaluation?
- What was the practical contribution of this research? What was the scholarly contribution of this research?
DeCuir-Gunby, J.T., Marshall, P.L., & McCulloch, A.W. (May 2012). Developing and using a codebook for the analysis of interview data: an example from a professional development research project. Field Methods, 23(2), 136-155.
- What is the purpose of a qualitative codebook and how is it used?
- What does this example illustrate about the use of a codebook for analyzing qualitative interview data?
- What kind of training is needed for appropriate use of a codebook?
- How does this kind of analytical approach affect the credibility of qualitative findings?