Brief learning objectives have been made available by the author, to assist you with your studies.
This chapter will enable a greater understanding of:
• The background to the conflict in Syria.
• The various sites of unrest at the core of the conflict.
• The response of the Syrian regime to growing opposition.
• The role of regional and global powers in the start and perpetuation of the conflict.
• The course and spread of the conflict, including the disaggregation of the opposition.
• The sources of the Syrian refugee crisis and its impacts on the receiving states adjacent to Syria.