Chapter 4: Probability Distributions
Answers for all ‘Test Yourself’ questions from the book to check your performance and widen your overall understanding of the contents.
- The uniform distribution, because there two and only two possibilities, and each of them is equally probable.
- The Poisson distribution, because employee absences are counts of relatively unusual occurrences.
- The normal distribution, because psychological data tends to fall in a normal distribution (values vary randomly around a population mean).
- To answer this question, remember to carry out all calculations to 6 decimal places, only rounding to 2 at your final answer.
- 4.12 * 2.64 = 10.8768 = 10.88
- (7.1 / 2.31) / 4.1 = (3.073593) / 4.1 = 0.749657 = 0.75
- 2.52 + 3.332 = 6.25 + 11.0889 = 17.3389 = 17.34
- If = 5 and s = 2, calculate X for the following z scores:
- X = 8
- X = -1
- X = 9.5
- To answer this question, reference the overall picture of the z-distribution found on p. ##