Assess Permission Requirements
Once you have identified third-party content, assess to determine if permission is required. If you determine that no permission is required, please indicate the reason why on the permissions log.
Copyright permission is required unless you can determine that the content:
- Has a strong fair use argument
- Is from a public domain source
- Falls within the STM Guidelines
- Is under an applicable Creative Commons license
- Is a trademark or logo that is necessary for inclusion
In addition, even if no copyright permission is required, you may need releases if there are any Personal Rights issues. Please note these items on the permissions log.
Please contact your Editorial team if you have questions about permissions or rights releases.