Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
All social workers should be familiar with the historical roots and traditions of the profession. Ms. Jane Addams was one of the founding members of what we know today as social work.
Go to the Historical and Narrative Timeline links. Explore the Hull House Settlement Connections between 1889-1909.
- What values and beliefs may have contributed to Jane Addams's decision to open Hull House?
- What social and political issues connected each participant of Hull House to the larger community?
- How did Hull House contribute to present-day direct practice with families?
Accreditation is a lengthy process to ensure each institution meets rigorous educational standards in the delivery of social work education at the baccalaureate and master’s levels. Go to the Accreditation tab on the menu bar.
- Why is CSWE accreditation important for programs? For students?
- What is the process to apply for candidacy?
- What are the member benefits of a student joining CSWE?
One of the many practice areas of social work is mental health. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) advocates for individuals and families to obtain the support and education needed for people with mental illness.
- Go to the NAMI News link on the left navigation bar. Review current topics related to mental illness. Are there recurring themes to these articles? How can you as a social worker advocate for this population?
- Go to the Press & Media link on the left navigation bar. Do you know the symptoms of mental illness? How can you educate and refer clients that may be experiencing some of these symptoms?
- Read Linea's Story in Personal Stories. How did Linea accept living with mental illness and complete her personal goals?