Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
Watch Storied Streets (2014): Most social workers develop specialized areas of interest and practice depending on a given social or political issue. Homelessness is a social justice issue across America.
- Discuss the stigma and stereotypes of homelessness in America. What is the difference between temporary and chronic homelessness?
- Is homelessness a choice? How does the intersectionality of social factors contribute to homelessness?
- After watching this film, how do you as a social worker feel about homeless people in the U.S.?
The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is the largest membership organization of professional social workers in the world, with 132,000 members as of 2015. NASW works to enhance the professional growth and development of its members, to create and maintain professional standards, and to advance sound social policies.
- Most states have licensure requirements. Find your state's website and social work license requirements.
- What is the difference between state licensure and professional social work credentials?
- Why are continuing education credits required for NASW credentials?
TEDxMileHigh – Bobby Lefebre – Social Worker: The calling to social work is personal with an evolution in the development of professional knowledge, skills, and values. We continue to learn about ourselves and others while serving some of the most marginalized individuals in society. In this TED Talk, Bobby Lefebre shares his personal talent as a slam poet.
- How does Lefebre tell his "story" about working with youth? What did you learn from his message?
- At this time in your educational program, discuss why you want to be a social worker. Do you have other talents that can contribute to your practice skills?