Multiple Choice Questions
This chapter is about the most powerful reference group of all – the family. Families influence our behaviour from the very start, as we learn to be effective consumers and as we are taught the values which permeate our thinking for the rest of our lives. When we have our own families, we develop new skills in consuming. This chapter leads us through the process, and gives an insight into the ways families influence their members.
1. Which of the following is NOT TRUE?
- Families share consumption.
- Families often have a purchasing agent.
- Families affect consumer demand levels.
Households determine demand for most products: families do not affect this much.
2. Which of the following is NOT a marital role specialisation?
- husband dominant
- wife dominant
- child dominant
Children are not dominant in family decision-making.
3. The person with the most power is called ______.
- the most powerful person
- the least dependent person
- the most independent person
The others are invented terms.
4. Which of the following is TRUE?
- First-born children generate less economic impact than later children.
- Second-born children generate the most economic impact.
- First-born children generate the most economic impact.
First-borns have everything new; later children get hand-me-downs.
5. Which of the following is true about children’s development as consumers?
- Observation comes before making selections.
- Making selections comes after making assisted purchase.
- Making independent purchase comes before making assisted purchase.
The order is observation, requests, selections, assisted purchase, and independent purchase.
6. Parents who are cold and restrictive are called ______.
- strict dependent
Such parents demand that their authority be respected.
7. The correct definition of ‘consultation tactics’ is?
- The child uses logical arguments and factual evidence to persuade the parent to agree with his or her request.
- The child seeks the parents’ involvement in making a decision.
- The child seeks the aid of others to persuade the parents to comply with his or her request.
8. Which of the following is TRUE?
- The LGBT community tend to be wealthier than heterosexuals.
- The LGBT community tend to be poorer than heterosexuals.
- Sexual orientation bears no relationship to wealth.
The LGBT community tends to be wealthier than average, by a considerable margin.
9. As regards ‘functions of the family’, which of the following is NOT TRUE?
- to provide an unlimited supply of technological products
- to provide emotional support
- to provide economic well-being
The missing element in the trio is to provide a ‘suitable family lifestyle’.
10. Parents who encourage their children to express their ideas and preferences are known as ______.
- consensual parents
- protective parents
- pluralistic parents.
Not surprisingly, these families experience the greatest influence from the children.
Enter the words ‘family pressure’ into your search engine. A selection of sites, including the following, will be presented:
What do these sites tell you about the negative side of family life?