Multiple Choice Questions
1. The set of shared beliefs, behaviours and attitudes associated with a large group of people is called ______.
- social framework
2. A story containing symbolic elements which express the shared emotions and ideals of a culture is called ______.
- a more
- a cautionary tale
- a myth
Myths contain the values of a culture in a story form.
3. A set of symbolic behaviours which follow a set sequence is called ______.
- a myth
- a pattern
- a ritual
Rituals are not necessarily religious – they can be any standard way of doing things.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of Hofstede’s dimensions?
Wealth and poverty do not affect culture.
5. A culture in which the norms are embedded deeply in its members is called ______.
- a high-context culture
- a repressive culture
- a low-context culture
The context for the individuals from that culture is of high importance.
6. Which of the following is NOT true of a high-context culture?
- Communication is rapid.
- Behaviour within the group is unstable.
- Outsiders are likely to stereotype the group.
Behaviour is usually stable in high-context cultures.
7. The correct meaning of ethnocentrism is the belief that ______.
- one’s own culture is ‘unoriginal’ and derived from other cultures
- one’s own culture is ‘correct’ and other cultures are derived from it
- one’s own culture is superior to all other cultures
8. Which of the following DO NOT contribute to Consumer Culture Theory (as listed by Arnould and Thompson, 2005)?
- consumer identity
- marketplace cultures
- sacred consumption
This is an element of culture.
9. Which of the following is NOT a stage in acculturation?
This is an invented term.
10. Social mobility is defined as the movement of ______.
- individuals, families, households, or other categories of people across different countries
- individuals, families, households, or other categories of people seeking asylum in another country
- individuals, families, households, or other categories of people within or between social strata in a society
This site is about the effect of social environment on people’s health, lifestyles, behaviours and attitudes. What is the relevance of this information for marketers?