Test you understanding of key chapter concepts by working through this quiz. You can check your answer by clicking on the arrow to the right or on what you think the correct answer is. The correct answer will then be revealed to you for that question.
1. Which of the following is an advantage of studies that use experimental research methods?
- They enable us to study psychological phenomena in the ‘real world’
- They allow us to identify causal relationships between different variables
- They consider the viewpoint of research participants
- They tell us what is going on in a person’s brain, rather than what they are thinking
b. They allow us to identify causal relationships between different variables
2. ‘False positive’ research findings are more likely to be published than negative findings because:
- Most studies do not have adequate statistical power
- Researchers are encouraged to engage in questionable research practices in order to publish in scientific journals and advance their careers
- Many researchers have a vested interest in the outcome of their research
- All of the above
d. All of the above
3. What kind of research articles provides a numerical summary of findings from lots of different studies?
- Case studies
- Twin studies
- Narrative reviews
4. What information is conveyed in a heritability estimate?
- The influence of specific genes on psychological disorders
- The degree to which twins are similar to each other
- Variability in a phenotype that can be attributed to genetic factors rather than shared environmental or random factors
- The number of people who have a particular disorder
c. Variability in a phenotype that can be attributed to genetic factors rather than shared environmental or random factors
5. Which of the following research methods is not used to study heritability of psychological disorders?
- Family studies
- Adoption studies
- Twin studies
6. What percentage of their genes do Monozygotic (MZ) twins share with each other?
7. Which of the following statements is false?
- Our genes influence our environment
- Genetics and environment have independent influences on psychological disorders
- Our environment influences our genes
- Environment affects people with different genotypes in different ways
b. Genetics and environment have independent influences on psychological disorders
8. Methylation is a term that refers to …… changes
9. Which psychologist is most closely associated with the cognitive approach to psychological disorders?
10. Which are more valid: biological or cognitive theories of psychological disorders?
- Neither, because biological and cognitive theories explain the same things at different levels of analysis
- Neither, because psychological disorders are learned
c. Neither, because biological and cognitive theories explain the same things at different levels of analysis