At the end of the chapter, you should ask yourself the following questions:
- Can I explain the diagnostic criteria for generalised anxiety disorder?
- Do I understand the roles of genetic and biological factors in generalised anxiety disorder?
- Can I explain how distorted cognitive processes might play a role in the initial development of generalised anxiety, and in the maintenance of the disorder?
- What can people do to help reduce their worrying?
- Do I understand how generalised anxiety disorder is treated, and can I relate treatments (particularly cognitive treatments) back to their theoretical models?
- Is cognitive bias modification likely to prove superior to existing treatments for generalised anxiety disorder?