Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers
Welcome to the companion website for the fifth edition of Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers by Derek Haylock with Ralph Manning.
More than just a book! This companion website gives you to access a wealth of teaching and learning resources including:
- Section opener videos are mini lectures from the author introducing core themes of each section.
- Worked solutions videos are audio visual demonstrations and explanations by the author of some key mathematical processes.
- Links to the National Curriculum specify the statutory requirements for primary schools in England that relate to the mathematical content of each chapter.
- Learning and Teaching points highlight important issues you may face in the classroom and provide practical guidance for teaching.
- Self-assessment questions help check your understanding and provide immediate feedback to see how well you have done.
- Free access to select SAGE journal articles to support literature reviews and wider reading.
- Activities for inclusion in lesson plans are contributed for each content-focused chapter by Ralph Manning, with suggestions for creative mathematics tasks across the primary age range.
About the Book
5 Star student reviews:
'A must have for teachers-to-be, especially those who are a bit shaky on their maths knowledge!'
'Not many maths books keep me fixated but this is one that is definitely worth the money.'
'It is a book I will be using even when in the classroom.'
When was the last time you did a fraction calculation? Could you explain how to do it to a ten year old?
Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers develops your own understanding of mathematical concepts and processes, and how children learn them, so you can confidently teach mathematics to primary children.
Tried and tested, the fifth edition of Derek Haylock’s much loved textbook matches the 2014 curriculum requirements for England. Every chapter integrates children’s learning, classroom practice, and the teachers' own requirements for subject knowledge, making this the ideal text to guide you through your studies and beyond.
Get interactive with the new online version – the fifth edition includes free access to an interactive online textbook, giving you the flexibility and support to study how and where you want. Access additional study material directly via the interactive eBook or by visiting the accompanying companion website – a maths teaching toolkit at your fingertips!
A Student Workbook is also available to accompany this book, including over 700 practice problems to help you check your understanding of mathematics principles, reason mathematically and solve problems, and prepare for the challenges and opportunities of the classroom.
Derek Haylock is an education consultant and writer with a background in mathematics teaching, teacher education and classroom-based research in mathematics education. Ralph Manning is an independent consultant in primary education. He has worked as a primary teacher and as a lecturer in primary teacher education for 18 years, following a career in IT.