Video and Multimedia
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
Sex Trafficking and LGBTQ Youth
Polaris is a leader in the global fight to eradicate modern slavery. Named after the North Star that guided slaves to freedom in the U.S., Polaris systemically disrupts the human trafficking networks that rob human beings of their lives and their freedom. Our comprehensive model puts victims at the center of what we do – helping survivors restore their freedom, preventing more victims, and leveraging data and technology to pursue traffickers wherever they operate. This article focuses on the sex trafficking of LGBTQ youth.
- What is the percentage of homeless youth who are LGBTQ compared to the general population?
- Why are LGBTQ youth more vulnerable to sex trafficking?
Is the U.S. “Failing” Migrant Children Fleeing Violence?
Sarah Childress, senior digital reporter Frontline Enterprise Journalism reports on human trafficking of the teens fleeing the chaotic violence in Central America — primarily Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.
- How do these youth end up in the hands of the traffickers?
- Why are the traffickers interested in this particular population?
- Describe how we are failing migrant children.
Sex slaves in SoCal: LAPD shifts approach to help human trafficking victims
This is a news report from the local ABC channel regarding the prevalence of the sex trade in Los Angeles and law enforcements response.
- What is the average age of commercial sex trafficking?
- What response does LAPD have to human trafficking victims?
Related web site: http://journeyout.org/
Journey Out is a Los Angeles-based nonprofit leading the fight for the freedom and survival of all those whose lives have been destroyed by sex trafficking or commercial sexual exploitation.
Video Link: http://www.vice.com/video/norwegian-prisons
Related web link: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-look-back-at-the-norway-massacre/
VICE is the world’s leading youth media company specializing in creating, distributing, and monetizing original content globally. In this video, Ryan Duffy discusses with prison officials how and why Norway’s prison system is structured as it is.
- What are the possible sentences for the worst offenders in Norway?
- What is the rationale for the structure of Norway’s prison system?
- Reviewing the related web link regarding Anders Behring Breivik do you feel that justice will be served in a Norwegian prison?
INTERPOL is the world’s largest international police organization, with 190 member countries.
Their role is to enable police around the world to work together to make the world a safer place. Their high-tech infrastructure of technical and operational support helps meet the growing challenges of fighting crime in the 21st century.
- Name and define the two types of cyber crime identified by Interpol?
Jimmy Carter: Why I believe the mistreatment of women is the number one human rights abuse
In this TedTalk former president Jimmy Carter discusses how religion has contributed globally to the abuse of women.
- How do people interpret the Bible to justify the mistreatment of women?
- What are some of some of the abuses that concern President Carter the most?