Consider the following questions to check your understanding.
- How and in what ways is Heidensohn’s (1968) paper ‘The deviance of women: A critique and enquiry’ significant to the development of feminist criminology?
- Outline the contributions made by early pioneering feminist scholars in criminology.
- Why did early feminist scholars set about a project of feminist empiricism and what were the limitations of such a venture?
- In what ways did theorizations of women’s offending lag behind that of men?
- Feminist criminology has been subject to much critique – outline the key arguments.
- Discuss the idea that feminist criminology(ists) remain on the margins of the inquiry within the academe.
- Outline the development and growing importance of human rights in the UK.
- How might a human rights approach be useful to the study of crime, victimization and social control?