T/R Journal Article Discussion Questions
Use these discussion questions that accompany the readings in the text/reader, for further exploration and understanding of concepts.
- How has the definition of rape evolved over time?
- Why do many victims of rape and sexual assault choose not to report their crimes to the police?
- What impact do rape myths play in victim blaming and the denial of offender culpability?
- Why do many victims of rape and sexual assault fail to identify themselves as victims of a crime?
- Why are acquaintance rape cases not viewed as “real” rape?
- What tactics do perpetrators use to coerce sex from their victims?
- In what ways can prevention efforts be used to educate women and men about the realities of rape and sexual assault?
- What are the short- and long-term effects of sexual assault? How might early sexual assault yield a pathway to later victimization or offending?