T/R Journal Article Discussion Questions
Use these discussion questions that accompany the readings in the text/reader, for further exploration and understanding of concepts.
- Why is the media obsessed with the image of the female offender? What implications does this have on understanding the realities of female offending?
- What does research say about the gender gap in offending?
- How have drug addiction and the war on drugs become a gendered experience?
- How are drugs, property crimes, and prostitution connected for many female offenders on the streets?
- What are the risk factors for prostitution? How do these issues affect a woman’s ability to exit the streets?
- Why are jurisdictions reluctant to legalize or decriminalize prostitution?
- Why do women engage in property offenses?
- What role does mental illness play in cases of women who kill their children?
- How do girls use their gender within the gang context?
- Discuss the types of violent crimes in which women most typically engage.