Oliver’s (2010) introductory text, The Student’s Guide to Research Ethics, is comprehensive and reader-friendly. Wiles’ (2013) book, What Are Qualitative Research Ethics?, is very informative on broader as well as more specific ethical issues. King’s (2019) book chapter provides a basic introduction to research ethics, gives specific advice on completing forms for ethical review and includes a section on internet/online research. Willig’s (2012) Qualitative Interpretation and Analysis in Psychology is unusual in its serious consideration of the ethics of data analysis and interpretation. Miller et al.’s (2012) thought-provoking edited volume, Ethics in Qualitative Research, considers research ethics from a feminist perspective.
Turning to articles on specific ethical issues, Gerrard (2020) discusses anonymization in social media research and Marcella-Hood (2020) reports on a study exploring identity with self-curated Instagram images and provides an extensive discussion of the particular ethical challenges of the study.
- Gerrard, Y. (2020) ‘What’s in a (pseudo)name? Ethical conundrums for the principles of anonymisation in social media research’, Qualitative Research [Online First version]
- King, N. (2019) ‘Research ethics in qualitative research’, in C. Sullivan and M.A. Forrester (eds), Doing Qualitative Research in Psychology: A Practical Guide. 2nd edn. London: SAGE. pp. 35–59.
- Marcella-Hood, M. (2020) ‘Instagram versus reality: The design and use of self-curated photo elicitation in a study exploring the construction of Scottish identity amongst personal style influencers on Instagram’, Qualitative Research [Online First version]
- Miller, T., Birch, M., Mauthner, M. and Jessop, J. (eds) (2012) Ethics in Qualitative Research. 2nd edn. London: SAGE.
- Oliver, P. (2010) The Student’s Guide to Research Ethics. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Wiles, R. (2013) What Are Qualitative Research Ethics? London: Bloomsbury.
- Willig, C. (2012) Qualitative Interpretation and Analysis in Psychology. Maidenhead: Open University Press.