Discussion Questions (Critical Incident p. 262)
- What are at least three significant factors that affect the achievement of culturally diverse students in schools? Discuss the impacts of these factors on overall student development and wellness.
- What is the difference between equality and equity? Why may some people disagree with an “equity” perspective in school counseling?
- What does taking a social justice approach to counseling mean to you? What are some possible challenges to using a social justice-based approach in schools?
- List skills that you need to be an effective, culturally competent school counselor. Are these skills that you have mastered, need to improve, or do not possess?
- Discuss your strengths and your needs for improvement in multicultural school counseling.