Discussion Questions (General)
- What are the negative consequences of describing North American Indigenous peoples in a collective manner that de-emphasizes diversity?
- What are the political dynamics likely to influence the effectiveness of cross-cultural counseling more with North American Indigenous peoples that with any of the other minority groups?
- What are some of the reasons that North American Indigenous peoples underutilize mental health services?
- Describe the generalized system of values which is said to characterize North American Indigenous peoples?
- Describe how you would assess a client's "acculturative status" in counseling.
Discussion Questions (Critical Incident p. 114)
- What is the culturally relevant history a therapist needs to understand when working with a client such as Donna?
- What are some of the culturally relevant techniques a counselor can use when working with Native clients who have been abused by people in positions of power, such as priests?
- How can a therapist connect a Native client back to his or her culture and its various institutions and practices?
- How might Donna’s therapist help her to reconnect with her family in a manner that promotes wellness for everyone?