Discussion Questions (Critical Incident p. 287)
- What assumptions does Laura appear to be making about the etiology of Eduardo’s symptoms?
- What factors from Eduardo’s background and present situation may be contributing to his current mental health?
- What are some of the important intersectional issues (in terms of gender, sexuality, and ethnocultural background) at play for Eduardo? What are some of the important intersectional issues at play for Laura?
- How are Laura’s actions the result of her lack of self-awareness and privilege as it relates to working with people of oppressed identities?
- What sexual orientation microaggressions can you identify in Laura’s interactions with Eduardo?
- What do you think Laura should do to reengage Eduardo in meaningful, respectful, and reflective psychotherapeutic work?