Video and Multimedia
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- Video: Khan Academy’s take on the relationships between thought and language.
- Video: Linguist Dan Everett’s research with an Amazonian tribe, the Pirahã, who do not have words for exact numbers (1, 2, 3), perhaps because they do not have a need for them in their thinking and existence. Smithsonian Channel. This language also does not have recursive syntactic structures. New Scientist.
- Video: Lera Boroditsky on how languages shape the way we think.
- Video: Sheldon Cooper working on sarcasm. There are many other examples, of course. Big Bang Theory
- Video: swearing on TV and in the media, and the FCC’s regulations. CBS, Today
- Video: code switching between dialects or registers of language; focusing on AAVE, Black English. WHROTV