Video and Multimedia
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- Video: the Big Bang Theory illustrating some flouting of Grice’s conversational maxims
- Video: conversational fillers, from the speaker’s perspective
- Video: The Virtual Linguistics Campus channel on YouTube – an overview of conversation; also some material on deixis and reference. Marburg University
- Video: Philosopher John Searle speaks about language, action, and intentionality. From a series on the Philosophy of Language
- Video: A just-for-fun throw-back tutorial on how to give a successful speech, incorporating gestures.
- Video: But, of course, most of our spontaneous gestures are not so scripted – a TEDx talk by Susan Goldin-Meadow
- Video: an example of the still-face experiment, showing the phases of disconnecting and reconnecting with children during communication
- Audio: disfluencies, like uh or um, help direct children’s attention to certain referents in discourse. Scientific American