Video and Multimedia
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- Video: the McGurk effect, with an explanation of the multisensory illusion.
- Video: Musical training can help improve our speech perception in noise, and in older adults, too.
- Video: Janet Werker and associates describe techniques to study speech perception in babies, such as the conditioned head turn procedure.
- Audio: some background on computer speech recognition – a difficult problem. NOVA, PBS
- Audio: podcast of retaining traces of a lost first language sounds, even after not using that language for many years. NPR, Science Friday
- Audio: examples of stimuli used in a categorical perception experiment, with changing voice-onset time (bad to bat), and other examples. UCLA
- Audio: Daniel Glaser on mirror neurons and multi-modal perception. The focus is on visual input, but the same prinicples likely apply to auditory input. NOVA, PBS