Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- The Wikipedia page on linguistic relativity and the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is quite good.
- Linguistic Society of America (LSA) – introductory information on language and thought.
- The World Atlas of Language Structures Online – further information on gender systems in different languages, and color names in different languages, with a color data map.
- A big list of American English idioms.
- Examples of several kinds of figurative speech. Grammar.about.com
- Examples of the Stroop task, online – here is the typical one.