IBM® SPSS® Statistics Base Integrated Student Edition v.23
Click on a topic to expand.
Windows Vista (32 & 64-bit GB)
Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit)
Mac OS X 10.8 or higher (32 or 64-bit)
Mac users - Java JRE 6.0 (J2SE 6.0) or 7.0
Intel® or AMD processor running at 1GHz or higher.
XGA (1024x768) or higher-resolution.
2 GB of available hard-disk space. (70 MB for each additional language.)
4 GB of RAM or more.
IBM® SPSS® Statistics is packaged as a flash drive, and you will need a USB port to install and use the product.
How do I access IBM® SPSS® Statistics Base Integrated Student Edition?
Purchase IBM® SPSS® Statistics Base Integrated Student Edition v.23 from SAGE as part of a bundle with a new textbook or as a standalone product from IBM. Go to http://www.sagepub.com/spss to learn more about bundles.
Mac installation from the flash drive.
- Insert the flash drive into your USB port.
- Browse to the IBM® SPSS® Device.
- Click MacOS, then SPSS_Statistics_Installer, and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
Windows installation from the flash drive for Windows Vista or later.
- Insert the flash drive into your USB port.
- Find the flash drive device through your Start menu > Computer > Devices with Removeable Storage.
- Select IBM® SPSS®.
- Right-click setup in the Windows subfolder and choose Run as Administrator.
- On the AutoPlay menu, click Install IBM® SPSS® Statistics Base Integrated Student Edition. Follow the instructions on the screen.
IBM® SPSS® Statistics is compatible with JAWS, an assistive technology product for visually impaired users. To enable JAWS and other assistive technology products to work with SPSS Statistics, select the option for enabling JAWS during the installation process.
Are there materials that will help me best use IBM® SPSS® Statistics?
Installation documentation for this version of IBM® SPSS® Statistics is on the installation flash drive. Click on Documentation and navigate to Installation Documents.
Additional Help documentation is available from within SPSS®:
SPSS® Help Tutorial
For a comprehensive overview of the basics, see the online tutorial. From any IBM® SPSS® Statistics menu choose Help > Tutorial.
The Statistics Coach can help you get started by prompting you with questions, nontechnical language, and examples to help you select the basic statistical and charting features suited for your data.
To use the Statistics Coach, choose Help, then Statistics Coach from the menus.
For installation and other technical support questions, visit IBM’s FAQs and Knowledge Base for students.
SAGE has a selection of titles for purchase that are devoted to the use of SPSS®. Visit www.sagepub.com/spss for more information.
In addition, your school’s library and IT department may provide SPSS® resources and tutorials.
Who do I contact for tech support?
SPSS® Statistics is sold with SAGE texts, but it is a product developed and owned by IBM. To open a support request with IBM Student Support Services, go to http://ibm.com/spss/rd/students, register on the site, and follow the instructions on the support center page.
How long do I have access?
Students have a 12-month license that begins on the day the product is installed. After the 12-month license period, the product will expire and no longer be available.
What are the main features of the product?
SPSS® Statistics is a software package for managing, viewing, and manipulating data, and performing statistical analysis. You can use SPSS® to create charts, reports, and plot distributions and trends using many types of data files. This student version is a single-user license that provides affordable access to statistical analysis and survey research tools that can support your coursework and enable you to develop the analytical skills employers seek.
This program is only for academic persons, including students and professors, for use in connection with a course. It may only be used in combination with academic textbooks for teaching and learning analytics. Use of this program is limited to course work as defined by the course syllabus. Any other use of the program is prohibited. Please note that this program may not cover all topics covered in the bundled text.
This program is an introduction to IBM® SPSS® only.
Limitations of the IBM® SPSS® Statistics Base Integrated Student Edition v.23:
- Data files cannot contain more than 50 variables. Data files cannot contain more than 1,500 cases.
- Command syntax is not available with the Student Version. It is not possible for students to repeat an analysis by saving and running a series of commands in a syntax or "job"file, as in the full version of IBM® SPSS® Statistics.
- Scripting, automation, and programmability are not available with the Student Version. Students cannot create scripts that automate tasks done with the menu system, as in the full version of IBM® SPSS® Statistics.
- Capabilities to merge or aggregate files are not available. Students can transpose (flip) files.
- Report, Multiple Response, and Multidimensional Scaling procedures are not included.
- The toolbars are not customizable.
- Students cannot create custom dialogs with the Custom Dialog Builder. However, students can install custom dialogs.
- Add-on modules (such as Advanced Statistics) cannot be used with the Student Version.
- The Restructure Data Wizard is absent from the Student Version.
- The Student Version cannot connect to IBM® SPSS® Statistics Server.
- The Output Management System (OMS) is not available.
- Output cannot be exported to Microsoft PowerPoint.
- The Student Version cannot read and write IBM® SPSS® Data Collection data sources.
Is there anything else I should know about this product?
Opening a data file
SAGE offers many data sets that can be used in SPSS Statistics. To open a data file, choose File > Open > Data...
Or use the Open File button on the toolbar.
To learn more about SAGE’s data sets, see our Data Set FAQ.
Toggling Unicode ON and OFF
Before entering data on a new worksheet, Unicode can be toggled ON or OFF.*
Go to Edit and select Options - Note Unicode is set to ON in the lower right corner.
- Select Language, click on Locale's writing system, then Apply. - Note Unicode is set to OFF.
* The Student Version of SPSS v.23 does not enable the user to toggle Unicode OFF while altering a previously saved file. If you need to toggle OFF Unicode for an existing Unicode supported file, it is recommended that you send your file to someone with the SPSS Grad pack or full version. He or she can toggle Unicode with the instructions above, or by running the command SET UNICODE OFF or SET UNICODE ON.
A current list of IBM trademarks is available.