Chapter 8 – The components of sentences
Consider the following statements and click to reveal the answer.
1. What are the eight main word classes or ‘parts of speech’ that are components of a sentence?
The eight main word classes or ‘parts of speech’ that are components of a sentence are nouns, pronouns, determiners, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, conjunctions and prepositions.
2. Name the four types of common noun.
The four types of common noun are concrete, abstract, countable and uncountable.
3. Which type of noun should be indicated by the use of initial capital letters?
Proper nouns should be indicated by the use of initial capital letters.
4. Which kind of determiner are the following words:
a. the – definite article
b. a – indefinite article
c. an – indefinite article
d. every – determiner expressing quantity
e. several – determiner expressing quantity
f. twenty – cardinal numeral expressing quantity
g. third – ordinal numeral expressing quantity
5. Which form of regular verbs are the following?
- to start
a. to start infinitive (to + verb stem)
b. washed simple past or past participle
c. laughing present participle
d. wink(s) simple present
6. What are the three types of conjunction?
The three types of conjunction are co-ordinating, correlative and subordinating.