Chapter 9 – Rocks, soils and fossils
Consider the following statements and click to reveal the answer.
1. The Earth can be divided into three main layers – what are these layers?
The Earth can be divided into three main layers – core, mantle and crust.
2. How are minerals originally formed?
Minerals are originally formed from hot lava.
3. What are the three main types of rock formation?
The three main types of rock formation are igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic.
4. From what type of rock are fossils formed?
Fossils are formed from sedimentary rock.
5. Name two components of topsoil.
Topsoil is a mixture of weathered rocks, the remains of dead plants and animals, air, water and small living animals.
6. Agriculturalists and gardeners are most likely to cultivate which type of soil?
Agriculturalists and gardeners are most likely to cultivate soil that is a mixture of sand, silt and clay called a ‘loam’.