Individual exercises to help test your understanding and knowledge of key areas of text. Complete them to see your strengths and weaknesses.
The links will open in a new window.
- Should the environment be considered in development? If so which aspects and why?
- Consider the case for fracking, what are the social, economic and environmental arguments for and against fracking? Further reading:
- If a fracking site was proposed near your house what aspects/issues should be considered in an Environmental Impact Assessment?
- Should the obligations of business extend beyond making a profit? If so what obligations do business have to people and the wider environment?
- Can we express the value of nature in monetary terms? Further readings
- How much is the world worth to us? Further readings:
Environmental Impact Assessments
- United Nations Guidance on EIA http://www.unep.ch/etb/publications/enviImpAsse.php
- Convention on Biological Diversity ? overview of EIA https://www.cbd.int/impact/whatis.shtm
- International Institute for Sustainable Development ? guidance on business and sustainable development https://www.iisd.org/business/
Environmental Economics/Ecosystem Services
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment ? global policy on valuing nature, wide range of reports and case studies http://www.unep.org/maweb/en/index.aspx
- TEEB ? the Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity ? case studies and details of methods http://www.teebweb.org/
- IPBES ? searchable catalogue of ecosystem service assessments http://catalog.ipbes.net/