Advancing the Story: Quality Journalism in a Digital World
Welcome to the Advancing the Story Modules!
This site is intended to enhance your use of Advancing the Story, Fourth Edition, by Debora H. Wenger and Deborah Potter. Please note that all the materials on this site are especially geared toward maximizing your understanding of the material.
It’s a multimedia world, and today’s journalists must develop a multimedia mindset. How does this way of thinking change the newsgathering and news production processes? Having conceived of and written their book in this changed media landscape, broadcast veterans Wenger and Potter seamlessly build on the fundamentals of good news reporting while teaching students to use depth, interactivity and immediacy as they maximize the advantages of each platform. While retaining the book’s clear instruction and advice from those in the trenches, Advancing the Story, Fourth Edition has been updated to reflect the latest issues and trends with:
- greater emphasis on social media and mobile media to gather, promote and disseminate news content;
- expanded coverage of media ethics and media law;
- extended examples of effective reporting across multiple platforms;
- updated writing exercises and new resources for reviewing AP style; and
- additional interviews with journalists at the forefront of industry changes.
We gratefully acknowledge Debora H. Wenger and Deborah Potter for writing an excellent text and creating the materials on this site.