Producing is one of the most demanding and rewarding jobs in any newsroom. The newscast producer literally runs the show and digital producers can be responsible for everything from social media initiatives to search engine optimization to posting breaking news updates. It's essential that the journalists working with both types of producers understand those jobs. As you complete these exercises and explore the module resources, you will learn to:
- Master newscast basics. From choosing the stories, to showcasing the lead, to choreographing the presentation of strong content throughout the show, producers must juggle multiple responsibilities daily.
- Create effective news promotions. Newscast teases and digital promotions are a fact of life and critical to a news organization's success. Knowing how to produce effective promos is essential for any digital journalist.
- Report like a producer. The best reporters act like producers in the field. They look for elements to tease, to break out of the story, and to showcase in live shots, on social or online. These reporters communicate frequently with producers to share what they’ve learned, especially if the story is changing.
- Plan for the future. Producers are on the front line when it comes to figuring out how to maintain and increase audience numbers. They need to be aware of the challenges facing the industry, including the rise of mobile, social, and yet-to-be created platforms and must help develop strategies for meeting those challenges.
- Exercise 1: Focus on Audience
- Exercise 2: Discover Newscast Promotion
- Exercise 3: Skill Building--Producing
- Exercise 4: Newscast Critique