Guardian article on overtourism in Europe
This article reviews the backlash that was growing against tourism in several historic cities in Europe in early 2020.
- Revived Originals – A proposal to deal with cultural overtourism
- In this paper, the authors propose the concept of propose ‘Revived Originals’: identically reproductions of heavily visited historical sites in a suitable other location. This strategy would offer greater protection for vulnerable historic sites.
- Residents’ perception of cultural heritage in terms of job creation and overtourism in Europe
- This paper reviews the attitudes of local communities who live near cultural heritage sites towards tourism. It explores who is most likely to see tourism as a threat to heritage.
- Pandemic in paradise: Tourism pauses in Bali.
- This research note provides an account of the trajectory of Balinese tourism through 2020, focusing on government actions in the face of the coronavirus pandemic and the responses of local people. While there was hope in 2020 that the 'pause' in tourism would herald a more sustainable future, a return to mass tourism was seen as likely.
- International Tourism and Outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19): A Cross-Country Analysis
- This study examines the relationship between international tourism and COVID-19 cases and associated deaths in more than 90 nations. The regression analyses show that countries exposed to high flows of international tourism were more prone to cases and deaths caused by the COVID-19 outbreak.