Revived Originals – A proposal to deal with cultural overtourism
In this paper, the authors propose the concept of ‘Revived Originals’: identically reproductions of heavily visited historical sites in a suitable other location. This strategy would offer greater protection for vulnerable historic sites.
- Guardian article on overtourism in Europe
- This article reviews the backlash that was growing against tourism in several historic cities in Europe in early 2020.
- Executive summary of UNWTO overtourism report
- This is the executive summary of a report produced by the UN World Tourism Organization on overtourism. The report suggest policy responses to manage tourism growth in urban centres.
- UNWTO international tourism and COVID-19 landing page
- On this page, the UN World Tourism Organisation offers a compilation of data on country, regional and global level on the impact of COVID-19 on tourism, alongside an impact assessment on the economic impact of COVID-19 crisis on tourism.
- OECD report: Rebuilding tourism for the future
- This OECD report reviews the measures many countries ]developed to build a more resilient tourism economy post COVID-19. These include preparing plans to support the sustainable recovery of tourism, promoting the digital transition and move to a greener tourism system, and rethinking tourism for the future.
- IMF post: COVID-19 and tourism-dependent economies
- This article, written for the International Monetary Fund, discusses the economies that were most impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and how the tourism sector in these countries can recover.