Revived Originals – A proposal to deal with cultural overtourism
In this paper, the authors propose the concept of ‘Revived Originals’: identically reproductions of heavily visited historical sites in a suitable other location. This strategy would offer greater protection for vulnerable historic sites.
- The economic growth impact of tourism in Small Island Developing States—evidence from the Caribbean
- This paper reviews tourism’s contribution to economic output in the Caribbean, a region that is more dependent on tourism than many other regions of the world.
- Multipliers and impacts of active sport tourism in the Greek region of Messinia
- This article examines the economic impact of four activities (golf, windsurfing, horse riding and scuba diving) on income and employment generation in Messinia, a region in south-western Greece.
- Economic impact of language tourism on mature sun and sand destinations: The case of Alicante (Spain)
- This paper demonstrates the significant economic impact that language tourism has on a consolidated tourism destination as Alicante. The economic impact of language tourism is higher, relatively speaking, than the impact generated by conventional tourism.
- Booming tourism industry and urban economic growth: Blessing or curse for China’s major tourist cities?
- This article examines the direct and indirect effects of tourism booms on urban economic growth in 48 major tourist cities from 2000 to 2012. While the economic benefits of tourism are of particular importance for de-industrialising cities, the article warns that cities must diversify their economies so they don't become over-dependent on tourism.