Guardian article on overtourism in Europe
This article reviews the backlash that was growing against tourism in several historic cities in Europe in early 2020.
- Tourism Council of Bhutan
- The website of the Tourism Council of Bhutan offers access to the country's tourism policy and tourism annual reports.
- CNN report on Boracay Beach closure
- This CNN article reports why the Philippines closed the popular tourist destination of Boracay over concerns the island’s famous beaches and clear blue waters have been transformed into a “cesspool” due to sustained environmental damage.
- Barcelona's break from overtourism during COVID-19
- In 2020, Barcelona went from overtourism to an almost complete halt to travel. In this article, Barcelona residents reflect on the role of tourism they expect post-pandemic.
- Sardinia introduces fines for tourists who steal sand
- This BBC article reveals how tourists are facing fines of up to €3,000 (£2,580; $3,650) for removing beach sand and shells from the Italian island of Sardinia.
- Lascaux IV replica of the original cave
- This is the website for the International Centre for Cave Arts, dubbed Lascaux IV, in France. The museum offers a complete replica of the origibal Lascaux cave, which is closed to the public for conservation reasons.