How Can We Be Most Effective in Helping Jermaine?
After reading Chapter 15, discuss the following questions, keeping in mind:
- Your developmental status of a multicultural identity, especially racial, sexual, and class identities
- How multicultural counseling is defined (Chapter 6)
- What social justice counseling entails (Chapter 14)
- How do you conceptualize the major clinical issues Jermaine presented?
- In what ways might your multicultural identity influence how you view Jermaine?
- What goals do you want to set for your work with Jermaine?
- In what ways are your goals reflective of a multicultural counseling perspective?
- What directions and strategies do you want to use in achieving these goals?
- How does a social justice counseling paradigm influence your decisions?
- What possible differences do you see between traditional counseling approaches and your approach as reflected in the answers to the above questions?