Test you understanding of key chapter concepts by working through this quiz. You can check your answer by clicking on the arrow to the right or on what you think the correct answer is. The correct answer will then be revealed to you for that question.
1. Which of the following is NOT part of how organizational design is described in chapter 14 of your textbook? Organizational design is:
- The plan of an organization’s rationally designed structure
- The plan of an organizations mode of operation
- A model for formal organization
- The CEOs decisions
2. The ‘open systems’ approach conceives of organizations as taking _______ from their environment, ____________ them and sending __________ to their environments.
- None of the above
3. Contingency theory asserts that the mechanisms that regulate organizations are the result of the interactive effect between the structure and function of the organization. What is the term commonly used for this approach?
- Corporatist functionalism
- Structural functionalism
- Structural engineering
- Corporate structure
4. As organizations grow, they will tend towards bureaucracy. Such a prediction assumes organization design is contingent upon ______.
5. A mechanistic organizational design is typified by high levels of _______________.
- Extensive delegated discretion
- All of the above
6. Which is not a transaction cost as identified in chapter 14 of your texbook ?
- Search and Information costs
- Bargaining costs
- Fixed and variable costs
- Policing and enforcement costs
7. In contingency theory what does the anagram SARFIT represent?
- Structural Adjustment to Regain Fit
- Structural Analysis to Remove Fat
- Structural Adjustment to Regain Form
- So Another Really Futile Theory
8. By the 1930s, classic bureaucracy was waning in the leading edge companies and a new organizational form developed. This new organizational form was called ____________.
- Three-dimensional form
- Multi-divisional form
9. What was a major difference between the classic bureaucracy and the emergent multi-divisional form (MDF)?
- Rules were thrown out because they no longer worked
- Rules became outcomes oriented rather than process oriented
- Rules became process oriented rather than outcomes oriented
- None of the above
10. Networks, Cellular models, Federal approaches, Creative compartments, Post-modern models, Flexible, Virtual, and Individualized corporations are all examples of ____________.
- Bureaucratic forms
- Multi-divisional or M- forms
- New organizational forms
- Organization theorists with too much time and fat dictionaries in their hands
11. Which of the following is NOT a process of design thinking: