Test you understanding of key chapter concepts by working through this quiz. You can check your answer by clicking on the arrow to the right or on what you think the correct answer is. The correct answer will then be revealed to you for that question.
1. Fill in the blank with the correct response: “_________ results from the expression of the actual or perceived opposition of needs, values and interests between people working together”.
- Organizational communication
- Organizational culture
- Organizational conflict
- Organizational learning
2. According to chapter 7 of your textbook, many early organization theorists’ conceptions of conflict viewed it as ___________.
3. Your textbook suggests that Aristotle and Plato’s concepts of conflict were ___________.
4. If conflict is thought of as constructive what is this approach called?
5. In a conflict typology framework, we can identify ___________, ___________, and ___________ conflict.
- Marx’s, Hegel’s and Hobbes’
- Good, bad and ugly
- Task, relationship, and process
- Productive, unproductive and fun
6. Why might an organization want to stimulate conflict?
- To create innovation
- To identify internal dissidence
- Because they are sadistic
- All of the above
7. The normative school emphasizes ___________ approaches to conflict resolution, often by identifying practical steps that the disputants should take to deal with conflict, its causes, and consequences.
8. Which of the following is most TRUE of relationship conflict?
- It is more likely to affect trust negatively
- It is more likely to increase creativity
- It is more likely to be manageable
- It is more likely to foster innovation
9. When thinking about conflict, which is NOT an example of William Ury’s (2010) “Third Side”
- Our surrounding community
- Our friends
- Our emotions
- The future
10. Which of the following is NOT one of Barge and Little’s notions of voice?
- Singular voice
- Blended voice
- Unified voice
- Pluralist voice