Test you understanding of key chapter concepts by working through this quiz. You can check your answer by clicking on the arrow to the right or on what you think the correct answer is. The correct answer will then be revealed to you for that question.
1. Communication that occurs between one person to another, such as an employee and a manager is termed ____________.
- Small group communication
- Self communication
- Dyadic communication
- Organizational communication
2. Communication that is based on interdependence and each person’s behavior is a consequence of the other’s behavior is referred to as ____________.
3. To say communication has a ‘meta-communication’ aspect to it is to say what?
- A message is successfully understood only if it is sent and received in interpersonal settings
- Managing how a message is projected and received is as important as its content
- A carefully constructed message will always be understood after it is sent
- Clear communication is a myth because how a message is received will always differ
4. Agreements within an organization about what is real and what is illusory can be referred to as ____________.
- Illusory meaning
- Shared meanings
5. According to your textbook, what was an early and very effective form of mass communication?
- The Church
- The Fax
- The Internet
- The Industrial Revolution
6. Which of the following are NOT one of the four important functions of communication processes as identified by Bordow and More (1991)?
- Informative function
- Systemic Function
- Social function
- Figurative function
7. The communication role of _______________ is one that involves representing and communicating an organization’s goals within and to its environment, as well as acquiring necessary information from the outside.
- Boundary spanner
8. What are TV, print, radio, the Internet, and specifically targeted events, all types of?
- Distribution channels
- Modes of communication
9. Which one of the following is NOT a reason why branding is a key to success?
- Brands makes choice easier for consumers
- Brands offer consistency and continuity for consumers
- Brands help build and communicate a consumers identity
- Brands mean you don’t have to worry about competitors
10. Polyphony is defined as:
- the presence of many voices and hence different ideas and perspectives
- the failure to communicate a clear brand message
- the presence of one overarching vision that informs organizational communication on all levels
- both b and c
11. The study of feedback and other communication mechanisms in machines, living organisms and organizations is known as __________.
- Information systems
12. Oliver identified six reasons why organizations collaborate with other organizations. Which oft the following is NOT one of them?
13. Groupthink occurs when a group of people used to working together end up thinking the same way. Which oft he following are negative impacts of groupthink?
- Groups limit the discussion of alternatives to only a few and do not consider the whole range of possible solutions.
- The group does not re-examine disfavoured alternatives
- Once a decision is made, the group is so confident that it does not think of alternatives for plan B scenarios.
- All of the above