Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ______ report (2007) referred to a ‘complex web of societal and biological factors that have, in recent decades, exposed our inherent human vulnerability to weight gain’.
2. Which of the following processes are important in explaining obesity?
- food environment
- physical activity
- individual psychology
- all of these
3. Obesity is caused by an increase in ______.
4. The formula for the body mass index is ______.
- a person’s weight in kilograms squared divided by the square of his/her height in meters (kg2/m2)
- a person’s weight in kilograms squared divided by his/her height in meters (kg2/m)
- a person’s weight in kilograms divided by his/her height in meters (kg/m)
- a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of his/her height in meters (kg/m2)
5. The Prospective Studies Collaboration (2009) analysed data from almost one million people who were followed from middle age in 57 prospective studies. In plotting mortality against BMI, a ______ curve was observed.
- inverted U-shaped
- inverted J-shaped
6. The body consists of ______ compartments.
7. Medical diagnosis of obesity is based on a BMI cut-off point of ______.
8. Most (73%) hunter-gatherer societies worldwide derived ______ of their subsistence from animal foods.
9. Early humans have been traced to sites in Africa dating approximately ______ million years ago.
10. The equation ‘energy intake = internal heat produced + external work + energy stored’ is known as ______.
- energy equation
- balance equation
- energy balance equation
- balance energy equation
11. Alcohol contributes ______ per gram.
- 3 calories
- 5 calories
- 7 calories
- 9 calories
12. The ‘thermic effect’ of fat consumes ______ of energy.
13. One joule represents approximately the energy required to lift a ______ vertically through one meter.
- small apple
- large apple
- sack of potatoes