Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ramirez et al. (1998) reported that approximately ______ of cancer patients in the UK received care from one close relative only.
2. Miller et al. (2002) found that hospice residents were ______ as likely as non-hospice residents to receive regular treatment for daily pain.
- one and a half times
- two and a half times
- three times
3. Exploring quality of death in hospitals, Connors et al (1995) found that ______ of physicians knew when their patients preferred to avoid CPR.
4. SELECT ALL THAT APPLY. ______ felt that psychosocial and spiritual issues are as important as physiological concerns.
- Families of patients
5. One of the main determinants of family’s satisfaction with EOL care is ______.
- where the death happens
- whether the patient died alone
- the level of care the patient receives
- the level of pain the patient is in
6. People with conditions other than cancer receive ______ of referrals to specialist palliative care and represent 70% of people who die from non-cancer conditions each year.
7. SELECT ALL THAT APPLY. What best describes the death notification process?
- There is no standardized process for making death notification phone.
- Death notifications are given to the most junior doctors and residents, following class-room based skills training.
- Doctors are provided with a general script to follow when making notifications over the phone.
- Death notifications are given to the most junior doctors and residents are unlikely to be prepared before.
8. An end-of-life decision to donate organs after death was found in ______ of possible organ donors.
9. SELECT ALL THAT APPLY. Following brain death, ______.
- the brain can recover function in time
- there is no longer independent respiration
- the brain will not recover function
- the person’s body can be supported for days and, sometimes, even weeks
10. ______ of all deaths are reported as euthanasia or physician-assisted suicide in jurisdictions where they are legal.
- Between 0.1% and 0.3%
- Between 0.2% and 3.6%
- Between 0.3% and 4.6%
- Between 0.5% and 6.3%