Prepare for exams and future essays with the questions below that align with key concepts discussed in the chapter. Try timing yourself as you write to practise in a mock exam environment. Create mindmaps of key themes, quotes and arguments you could include in an answer to use as a revision tool.
- Describe the court system in England and Wales and explain how each arm of the system works with the rest
- Critically discuss the various factors that are often taken into consideration in sentencing and explain how each factor may affect the sentence given by the court
- Critically evaluate the powers of courts to give disproportionate sentences to offenders that are considered dangerous
- What are specialist courts? With reference to one specialist court, critically evaluate the value of these courts to those who are meant to use them and society at large
- Discuss the main goals of court sentences and critically evaluate their adequacy in reducing offending