Multiple Choice Quiz
Take the quiz to test your understanding of the key concepts covered in the chapter. Try testing yourself before you read the chapter to see where your strengths and weaknesses are, then test yourself again once you’ve read the chapter to see how well you’ve understood.
1. What year is most commonly considered to constitute the start of the youth justice system?
2. What is the maximum length of custodial sentence available for a child in the youth court?
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 24 months
- 36 months
c. 24 months
3. What is the maximum length of a custodial sentence available for a child in the crown court?
- 2 years
- 14 years
- Life imprisonment
- The same as the adult maximum
d. The same as the adult maximum
4. Which ‘mode’ of youth justice is labelling theory most closely associated with?
5. Which of the following principles are courts not obliged to have regard to when they sentence a child?
- The seriousness of the offence
- The welfare of the child
- Preventing further offending